Job Summary: The Packaging Specialist is an hourly position responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the packaging department. This position reports to our Production Supervisors and our Co-Founder/Head Brewer.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee and work with packaging assistants to efficiently execute all tasks required to effectively package high quality beer.
- Ability to operate and maintain bottling and canning line equipment including automated de-palletizer, twist rinsers, can seamer, pack-off conveyors, bottle and can rinsers and dryers, automated date coder, labeler, conveyance systems, small run bottling equipment, etc. [changed order]
- Complete all QA/QC tasks relating to packaging, including by not limited to the following: pre-package DO and CO2/vol. verification, seam testing prior to and throughout packaging run, and in-package DO measurements.
- Ability to accurately follow SOPs and a comprehensive understanding of specific beer process terminologies.
- Continually evaluates and updates (w/ supervisors and co-workers) packaging SOPs and standards of excellence regarding safety, quality, and process.
- Requires maintaining a safe and secure working environment within the packaging department at all times.
- Displays effective communication skills on a daily basis with all employees, management, customers, guests, and vendors.
- Operate both manual and computer automated process equipment while maintaining high quality standards.
- Perform weekly and monthly inventory audits and reconciliation of overages/shortages of materials and parts.
- Experience operating and maintaining a Wild Goose Can filler is preferred.
- Ability to operate and maintain our Premier Stainless semi-automated keg washer
- Follow ALL COVID guidelines, environmental and safety regulations and the associated SOPs
- Must be able and willing to work a variable shift schedule that is dependent upon the operational needs of the brewery.
- Must be willing to be on call in the event of equipment failure or staffing production needs. Night shifts and weekend shifts are rare but may be required due to variations in production scheduling and maintenance for equipment.
- Must demonstrate a professional and engaged demeanor at all times and treat every co-worker, customer, vendor, and/or client with dignity and respect in all interactions.
- Ability to actively and effectively perform tasks and moves such as, twist, stoop, dance, laugh, crouch, stand, share twizzlers, search pallets for pearson’s salted nut roll, sit, try to reach something that’s hard to reach, walk, taste beer for QA, taste beer for fun, make good decisions, make a couple less than good decisions but learn from them, attend a couple concerts a year, pick your favorite music to play in the brewery, stand on your feet for 8-12 hour shifts and have a good time doing it. Must be able to lift 55lbs and repeatedly maneuver (but NEVER solo lift!!!) up to 175lb.
- Willingness to perform many other duties as needed, desired and assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Mechanical Aptitude—must possess a solid mechanical-based skill set for both systems, processes, and tools.
- Problem Solving—must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Planning/Organizing—prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality Control—always demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Quantity—meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Adaptability—adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Dependability—consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety & Security—must always observe safety and security procedures and use equipment and materials properly.
Preferred Knowledge & Skills: Consider breaking this section down into bullet points
Minimum of 21 years of age.
2 years experience in Beverage Packaging and Mechanical Systems, Packaging Technology or similar technical relevant work experience.
Possess a strong understanding of all areas of safety and packaging standards. Must be self-motivated, know how to use a computer, have excellent written skills and good verbal communication.
Ability and desire to work under stressful situations unique to the manufacturing/production environment of a fast-paced brewery.
Requires excellent time management skills as well as very strong analytical and problem solving skills.
A proficiency in G Suite and MS Office software including Excel and Word.
Experience preferred using various Brewery Management Software and CRM. We currently use BeerRun and plan to move for a more robust system in the future.
Preferred Qualifications: Previous experience as a Packaging Technician or Packaging Dept. Operator. Preference given to applicants who have completed Brewery Packaging Technology coursework through the Master Brewers’ Association but not at all a requirement.
Compensation – commensurate with experience.
Exhibit ‘A’ Brewing Company, Inc. is a craft brewery and taproom located in Framingham, MA. Employee benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance, 401K and a rewarding place to work built upon our values, our people, our world class beer, and our mission.
Exhibit ‘A’ Brewing Company, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and will not tolerate discrimination against any employee or applicant seeking employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, public assistance status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.